| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #13 Registration
2014-10-25 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
F1 - Are You Ready ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chip Robinson
Club Vice President

Score: 812

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside sources told me yesterday USF1 is done. Finished. Told everyone they could find new jobs(good luck).
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47408

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip Robinson wrote:
Inside sources told me yesterday USF1 is done. Finished. Told everyone they could find new jobs(good luck).

"The US F1 team is done. Does this really surprise anyone?

If so, it shouldn't. There's a pattern in racing that goes like this:

Some group, usually with a well-known or well-connected person involved, announces it is starting a major racing team in a top league. Organizers list all kinds of grand plans, sometimes even including a driver you know.

And more often than not, these grandiose plans go sliding off the edge of a cliff and never materialize. Why? Because they don't have the money to do all the things they say they're going to do.

They hope by making a big public announcement, usually at a major race with lots of media present, they will get enough attention and interest that a major sponsor will step up and back the team.

It's the classic kart-before-the-horse situation. And most of the time, the horse never shows up to pull the load.

That's exactly what happened for Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor, the two men running the show at US F1.

Anderson applied this week to the FIA (Formula One's ruling body) to postpone its entry date until 2011. The FIA rejected that proposal, which was the correct decision.

The same problems US F1 has now will apply one year from now. The first red flag came at the beginning when US F1 announced the team would be based in Charlotte, N.C.

Charlotte? For a Formula One team? What's next? A Sprint Cup team based in London?

It's a nice idea to have an American team, but it doesn't make much sense to have team headquarters here for a series that races only once a year on the entire continent (Montreal in June) and doesn't have single U.S. event.

The only way for this team to have any significance in the United States was to hire an American driver, something the US F1 guys didn't do.

In January, they named Argentinean Jose Maria Lopez as driver for the 2010 season, which we now know isn't happening. And that announcement was made in Argentina.

This situation also reflects badly on Formula One, which listed an entry for the 2010 season that never was solid and had to be withdrawn two weeks before the season opener in Bahrain.

The lesson here is to always be skeptical of team announcements in racing before the money is in place to make it a reality.

Oh, by the way. I plan to start my own racing team next week. All I need is a sponsor, a driver," quoted from an F1 blog
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33772

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Baby! F1 has started. As the commentators said, tire management is going to be very important. As I recall, Schumacher can be very good at this.
Bob Lefferdo

Score: 5307

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: F1 Is back!!!!! Reply with quote

I am ready and cant wait. Nick gave me practice updates this morning.

Cold pizza and beer for tomorrow's qualifing, anybody wish to join me?

Ryan, remind me never to go to Las Vegas or play the lottery with you, I think Nick has better chance to win the F1 Title.
Ryan Curtin

Score: 2286

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: F1 Is back!!!!! Reply with quote

Bob Lefferdo wrote:
Ryan, remind me never to go to Las Vegas or play the lottery with you, I think Nick has better chance to win the F1 Title.

I already placed my bets on Nick for 2011. Tell him to get practicing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33772

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wehrheim wrote:
Patrick French wrote:
AW is picking Alonso Mad Great article.
I do think Vettel has an excellent chance to win.

Vettel on Pole. Tomorrow will be very interesting.
wesgreene

Score: 3268

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Red team did well with tire wear in testing. It would be great for Masa to get a win in his first race back.
KevinFrench

Score: 4287

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many storylines this year...it's like a soap on speed.
Kosmic Mercury #602
Daniel White

Score: 6265

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff so far. No real surprises at the sharp end of the grid. In his debut, Petrov not too far off Kubica--the Russian certainly isn't embarrassing himself. HRT driver Chandok did a good job to post a time "only" 1.7 from his teammate even though Karun's first-ever F1 session was qualifying.

I'd like for Nico to get his first win. Rosberg, that is.

Pulling for Conway in the IRL race.
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47408

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....ah, did I say I was a Ferrari fan? c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: