| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Good Bye, DrChip!
Race fuel for the track
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29485

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't people get 5 gl drums before the races? There are multiple VP dealers around, including Don and Brent. It will be enough for at least 2 race days and to sell to somebody who will come to races without fuel.
Carl Cottrell

Score: 4846

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a minute. Racers can pre-order fuel at $12/ gal and a couple of racers MAY bring fuel to some of the races. How does that work? What's the big deal about making it ok to run pump fuel? This way when fuel is not available or pre-ordered it's not a problem.

I'm done discussing it online. If anyone wants to discuss it any further they can email me directly at carlcottrell@gmail.com or call me at 678-488-4567.
Brent Harper

Score: 4525

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl,

Was I not asked to see if I could provide fuel at the track???? Yes or No!!
Why is this all of the sudden become such a controversial topic..

Off of the Rmax website:

Fuel and Oil

98-octane (anti-knock index) maximum, commercial, unleaded gasoline in mixture between 33:1 and 50:1 with high quality synthetic two cycle oil. For events where the fuel is not supplied as premix, the mixture ratio shall be verified by comparison with Digatron DT-15 or DT-47 to a controlled sample at 50:1. Competitors' fuel must measure within +10/-5 points to the controlled sample.

The official fuel and oil for the USRMC is VP Racing Fuels Motorsports 93 unleaded gasoline and Motul 800 2T Factory Line Off Road full synthetic two cycle oil.

I understand that you can run other fuels, does that include pump gas?? Even if you could what would be the advantage other than price and the chance of hardening seals(carb), getting bad pump fuel, different jetting,etc.. I am asking this because I have never been to an Rmax race where pump fuel was allowed from Florida to Oregon..

CMC KARTS
Sean O'Connell

Score: 1026

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pick a spec fuel as it reduces the opportunity to run super fuels which are not only bad for everyone around (health wise) and for the class (expense). Some of the fuels can produce significantly higher HP and having a single fuel makes testing possible. If everyone gave their word they would run Chevron Premium (or whatever) I'd be ok with that.

That said, the Rmax rules do not say the VP fuel is required, only "official". Otherwise they could have left the 1st paragraph out.

Fuel and Oil

98-octane (anti-knock index) maximum, commercial, unleaded gasoline in mixture between 33:1 and 50:1 with high quality synthetic two cycle oil. For events where the fuel is not supplied as premix, the mixture ratio shall be verified by comparison with Digatron DT-15 or DT-47 to a controlled sample at 50:1. Competitors' fuel must measure within +10/-5 points to the controlled sample.

The official fuel and oil for the USRMC is VP Racing Fuels Motorsports 93 unleaded gasoline and Motul 800 2T Factory Line Off Road full synthetic two cycle oil.
Carl Cottrell

Score: 4846

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I have been discussing this with some of you and I know the spec fuel is preferred. My reason for considering open fuel was - we don't want to supply it, and no one else can guarantee they will have it all the races. I personally think most guys would still run VP fuel. But it does open the door to someone running hot rod fuel. One of my other issues with spec fuel - if we don't supply it, what happens when someone who is running the spec fuel, fails tech. We had this issue a couple of times last year. Guys get real mad when they are not cheating but get DQ'd for illegal fuel.

We're going to keep the spec fuel like it is. You can buy your fuel from anyone you want, just be sure you are getting legal fuel. It is your responsibility to ensure your fuel passes tech. I have been told the the primary reason legal fuel fails tech is because moisture gets in the fuel. You buy a 5 gal metal gas can of VP, you sit it on a concrete floor and/or sit it in the sunlight and condensation forms. Same problem if the guy you purchase your fuel from doesn't store it properly. Also if you mix up 5 gallons at a time and you use the same fuel for a couple of races. You could fail tech. You might not but it is possible. I personally only mix a gallon at a time.

So I hope this puts this one to bed. We will tech fuel. It is your responsibility make sure you have proper fuel and your fuel passes tech.

Good luck in 2009,

Carl Cottrell
SERSS Race Director
Drodey

Score: 670

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has gone way off course........

Those of you that have PM'd me about fuel, I will be in touch with you this weekend. Fuel is ordered. Thank you for your orders!

As for the RMax issue.......well, it is what it is.........I have fuel available for those that need it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Thanks,

Donn

CMC KARTS EAST
Chuck McCue
Banned User

Score: 5102

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:
The problem with running pump fuel is that today's gas at stations have up to 10% alcohol/methanol in the gas. This is not the best for your Rotax. Also, Fuel stored in a Steel drum that is more than 80% full is the best way to store it. The old wives tale of condensation building up in a can stored on concrete is just that a wives tale. The only way H20 can condensate inside a fuel can is if the fuel in that can already had H20 in it. H20 can not be drawn through the can from outside. Also what damages fuel from storing it in the sun is that the sun oxidizes the fuel and wipes out the "light ends" which is what creates that "carbonated" sound when you open a jug that has been shaken. Also, as the light ends are oxidized you will loose octane. So keep your fuel in a tightly sealed metal can such as a Jerry can and out of the sun.

On a similar subject, WKA has mandated that all competitors must have a fire extinguisher in their pit. CIK/FIA only allows fuel to be store in a non spillable container like a Jerry can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: