| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #13 Registration
2014-10-25 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Daytona Race report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seeley

Score: 2948

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with the program, it's a National Race. Local and regional races are for turning lots of laps. Most younger kids (Casey Roderick and others are obvious exceptions) aren't really ready to be racing at the National level. However, it is a great experience, so when they (and their family) are ready to be there it won't be an overwhelming experience.

One of the cool things about karting is that people who aren't exactly ready to race at the top level still have access to it. If Micro takes off this year, it wouldn't suprise me to see Jesse running LCQ's at the big events. Certainly when he moves to Mini he'll be mired there for a while. I doubt he would have made the show in Simons class at Daytona either.

Yes a race like Daytona is a huge investment in time and money, and not making the final race increases the cost per lap a lot, but the experience in the paddock is what a new team is paying for. I'd bet Jeff and Simon learned a lot this weekend. The payoff may not be today, but lessons learned there will help them all season.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33710

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale,
Well said! In addition at Daytona and Charlotte no one has a home track advantage. Everyone has equal track time.

I know Jeff wanted Simon to have the experience more than the results.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other advise I would provide beyond the obvious, try to teach your young racers the following.

1. Proper breaking technique for karting. This is not trail braking
2. Perfect the mid corner speed. Critical
3. Perfect picking up the throttle at the right time. Exit speed is so important
4. Race Craft. - This is very hard to teach. This takes a lot of practice. This is why I have been a proponent of having different (but reasonable speed karts racing together) classes racing together.
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28445

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As bad as our Charlotte Gold Cup weekend was, at least we qualified, and raced the heat and main. It would stink to not race the main. Guess we should be happy we only had 20 or so karts Smile.

We had a great time, and learned we still have a lot of work to do!

DT
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29202

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when exactly you have time to learn (1,2,3,4) if you get 1 practice (rather warm-up) for 4-5 laps, 3 laps qualifier and, if you were not fast enough, 6 laps LCQ (thats 4 minutes of racing, wow Evil or Very Mad )
They should have make 18 to pre-final, 6 more from LCQ and the rest of them race in Final B the same number of laps as Final A.

When I'm going to Nationals event, I don't want just to see how big names racing or talk to them. I paid the same amount of money and for me that money hard earned and I value them much more than front-multiple-class-runners.

As for the Leopard, I kind of like it happened. Finally somebody can understand what it means to have slower engine like "pretty equal" (said by one of the RFR commentator) Comer 80. They were so equal that Jordan Perry, 2 times MiniMax Nationals top 3 finished in top 20. Last year same happened to Chaponick and Tesoro, who are very good drivers, but didn't invest in Comer program.
I know, John, you will defend Comer again, but check out Classifieds on EKN, every third or so post is Comer 80 for sale, sometimes more than one.

I honestly don't see how WKA event was better from experience point of view than last year FWT Homestead in MicroMax.

And question to Jeff, what chassis are hot in Sportsman class ?
Jeff Sikes
Junior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 8432

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we just got back home, what a great time. Simon had a great time, I had a great time and my daughter had a great time - perfect way to spend time with the kids. 75 sunny and racing at the beach in December, does not get any better. Road race karts going by on the oval at 150+ in the back ground, Simon chatting it up with Jamie Mcmurray, castor smoke in the air - wow what a good time!

The level of racing in the sportsman class is awesome. Simon learned a ton and is now a different driver, I learned a ton too. Allen told me that after a few WKA national races Simon would be a whole different driver and I now know what he meant. We finished in the back somewhere, but that does not matter at all.

Thank you goes out to John, Steven and Carter for all their help and John for the tips (we did not use the soft axle though - sorry!).

Thank you Allen for all the tips, tricks and race knowledge you passed on to us and the help tuning over the phone and the great chassis you passed along to Simon.

Thank you Raceway Motorsports (Rick Sweeting)- as usual - for the unlimited support. The body work looked great and the graphics were just sharp - thanks for the logo design too - too cool. Also thanks for putting up with the phone calls to your house at all hours with questions and for your calls to us making sure we were on the right track. If anyone needs stickers for a kart or a logo designed - give Rick a call - He just has an eye! I almost forgot, the limited edition Daytona 2008 Sweat shirts - huge thank you for those, they were a big hit !

Taking an 8 year old to his first WKA national was an experience we will not forget, we were both all smiles and I was very proud of the boy for holding his own out there. We can not wait for the next one.
Jeff Sikes
Junior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 8432

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot, Thanks for the bumper Rick. We got several questions about where we got it! I of course told them it was a secret Very Happy
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihor:
Quote:
And when exactly you have time to learn (1,2,3,4) if you get 1 practice (rather warm-up) for 4-5 laps, 3 laps qualifier and, if you were not fast enough, 6 laps LCQ (thats 4 minutes of racing, wow )

Ihor, I hope you are not suggesting that you learn these on a race day, because I am not.

Granted you do not get much track time on race day. This is a problem with WKA due to the number of classes they have on race day. FWT and Stars have only a handful, therefore you get more track time.
amax20

Score: 3643

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihor Bilyy wrote:
And when exactly you have time to learn (1,2,3,4) if you get 1 practice (rather warm-up) for 4-5 laps, 3 laps qualifier and, if you were not fast enough, 6 laps LCQ (thats 4 minutes of racing, wow Evil or Very Mad )

When I'm going to Nationals event, I don't want just to see how big names racing or talk to them. I paid the same amount of money and for me that money hard earned and I value them much more than front-multiple-class-runners.

I honestly don't see how WKA event was better from experience point of view than last year FWT Homestead in MicroMax.

?

Ihor,
If i am not mistaken Chris Daniels one of the best at b-ville in rotax went home early after missing the show on the fwt. (Sorry Chris just making a point). Simon got a ton of experience racing some of the best in the nation in wka. As did Jeff in the tuning end of the deal. If you ask anybody who has seriously raced in the wka national program they will tell you how tough it is to run in the top 10 in any class. Than you add in the series itself. It is top quality racing, and you are not going to go out and set them on fire the first year unless you are Casey Rodrick, Dicky Wilson, or the like. I missed my first main on the first try. So what I got the same amount of driving just not with the big dogs in the main. Being ready to compete when you get there is half the battle.
Comparing the micro-max to wka manufactures cup racing is like scca to irl. I think that if you watch jeff and simon this year you will see huge gains on both jeff and simon in there respective duties. The other part of this is that both simon and jeff had big fun and when you think about it shouldnt that be what it is all about. Not many of us actually ever get to cars and get paid to drive. So the memories that you get along the way are what matter. Race everything thing you can where ever you can. Ask John and Chris, (werhiem or festa) about all the times they have had at a wka event and it will rank as some of the most competitive racing anywhere. JMO. Good luck Ihor and Micheal at homestead we will be pulling for you to run well. Very Happy

GREAT JOB SIMON, and jeff. Very Happy
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29202

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not questioning Simon's and Jeff's ability or amount of fun. I just say WKA is making hard for beginners to get any seat time. Compare those who made to the final with those who did not:
3 laps qualification, 6 laps LCQ = 9 laps
3 laps qualification, 8 laps pre-final, 16 laps (maybe it is less for juniors, I'm not sure) = 27 laps. Three times more. On top of that, most of them raced not just on Saturday also (Cadet), but in HPV and Yamaha Sportsman.
After all fun from being there settles, I'm down to how much racing was done.

And how exactly FWT is not comparable to WKA ? The level of professionalism is way higher in FWT, despite being almost one man show. Did you ever see a complete results from WKA? Did you see any Road Racing reports/results from past weekend? WKA improved a lot, finally they have one person to update top 10 next day. It was weeks before they had results posted. Why not to use mylaps?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: