| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Daytona WKA blog from Chris

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seeley

Score: 2948

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Daytona WKA blog from Chris Reply with quote

http://www.ekartingnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=77162

Chris Wehrhiem and his dad, John (our Sr. 2-Cycle Director) are keeping a blog on EKartingnews.com about his TaG and Trike racing experiences at the Daytona WKA event this week.

Jeff and Simon are also there, heard that with four rounds of practice today, Simon is up to mid-pack already.

Keep working toward the front Simon and Chris, we'll be listening to the race calls live on Racefanradio.com

Stay up late turning wrenches John and Jeff, the boys are counting on you!
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33691

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale,
Thanks. I am down just watching. Chris is tuning himself. He had ignition problems the first 2 heat races so we are still off the pace. And to make matters worse is he has a bad cold.
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wehrheim wrote:
He had ignition problems the first 2 heat races so we are still off the pace.

His flex is probably to long, shorten it up a bit Wink
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the new WKA Tag rules, the Rotax is stupidly fast at Daytona. The Leopards, Sonic's and RoxTT do not stand a chance.
Seeley

Score: 2948

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I'm not at all trying to take anything away from Chris or discount what you've said, I don't want you or anyone to take offense to what I'm about to write. I will apologize to you and Chris in person if it comes out wrong and appears to be personal in any way.

Every year, and possibly several times a year, it appears that one of the TaG engines is stupid fast compared to the others. This year it is because of a weight allowance, and some tuning disallowances, and possibly even an entire engine (new model) disallowance.

Every year, and really most races it seems, one large group of TaG racers gets screwed while a smaller group appear to be brilliant just because they fell upon the correct engine combo at an event at the right time in the ruleset. I've seen (in person) TaG competitors changing engine brands during practice in hopes of finding the right brand for that day's racing. That seems really expensive to me.

If Chris had a Rotax with him (or whatever engine was going to be stupid fast this race) he would have done better. Why don't the top teams have multiple engine brands in the team tent to loan their drivers if they invested in the wrong lump for a race?

Luck has a lot to do with racing results, I know that. But, a lucky engine choice on a given weekend should not be part of that statement.

I almost hate that the Rotax was dominant (this time) as it will continue to fuel anti-Rotax sentiments from the not-Rotax owners, and it's not the fault of Rotax or the drivers. The TaG governing body did this, to their own people. It doesn't make sense to me.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why don't the top teams have multiple engine brands in the team tent to loan their drivers if they invested in the wrong lump for a race?

Dale some drivers did this yesterday, but many do not for numerous reasons.
1. Their relationship with their engine builder would be in jeopardy
2. Some teams or shops only sell and support a certain brand. I know of several drivers that wanted to change engines but couldn't because the team wanted them to run the team engines.
3. Limited supply of Rotax's at the event

Quote:
I almost hate that the Rotax was dominant (this time) as it will continue to fuel anti-Rotax sentiments from the not-Rotax owners, and it's not the fault of Rotax or the drivers. The TaG governing body did this, to their own people. It doesn't make sense to me.

I don;t think it will cause Anti-Rotax, but it will result into:
1. More Rotax sales if WKA stays with the current rules.
2. Tag entries will drop like a lead ballon if WKA keeps the same rules.

Look what FWT did last year with the Tag rules last year. Entries dropped big time after determining the Leopards could not compete against the Rox TT's.
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29180

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TaG class nationally is coming to the end. Too many regulations. In the near future its going to be (already is) Leopard only for STARS, Rok Cup (or local, street races only) and Rotax as it is.
What is next WKA race?, New Castle? Leopard and Rok will be faster there. Who can afford multiple engines... So we can see a core of national drivers and local to the track people with right engines who may race only one big event a year.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next race will be in Southbend.
Jeff Sikes
Junior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 8406

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athens to Southbend - 732.17 miles Wink Who's in? Very Happy
amax20

Score: 3643

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Sikes wrote:
Athens to Southbend - 732.17 miles Wink Who's in? Very Happy

Man i hate that track. what a piece of junk place for a national. Out of all the great tracks in the north to go repeatedly to south bend. ugh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: