| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Few newby questions...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean O'Connell

Score: 1026

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Few newby questions... Reply with quote

About to try out the kart for the 1st time and have a couple more questions.

I picked up a 11t sprocket but the needle bearing on the motor now (12t bearing) has a different diameter... do I need a different bearing or did I get the wrong sprocket? Also, my Rotax manual says not to use an 11t if possible- bad for something in there... yet the 11t was suggested for Barnesville.... I assume no one has had issues running the 11t?

How do you accurately measure the oil added to fuel? 93 Octane good?

When installing my new chain, it was super tight at one spot, but rotate the axle 180' and it was very loose. Weird. I put a different rear sprocket on and it adjusted evenly. The 1st one was a new split sprocket, 2nd a new solid sprocket.

Last question for now... is the rib protector worn inside or outside the suit?
clarence

Score: 8229

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rib tech inside the suit. rear split sprockets have to be installed with the gap between the two halves EVEN. use a feeler gauge or just eyeball it, that will get the chain tension right. I have no idea on the rotax engine sprocket. I suggest using the one that fits for now. Add speed later.cheers
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be no problem with the 11t. Should always use solid sprockets.

RS
Chris Daniel

Score: 984

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a bushing for the 11t not a roller bearing. Also since it is a bushing u must lubricate it often by removing the clutch drum and spray lithium grease on the bushing and the tip of the cranshaft(carefull not to spray the clutch linings). The added maintenance time is well worth it because u have less of a chance bending a sprocket. Also you will need the smaller washer that goes on the outside of the assembly just before the nut is installed.
wesgreene

Score: 3268

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a "Ratio Rite" to measure the oil. For Rotax go 50:1.

I would suggest staying with the 12t at first.
Seeley

Score: 2948

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Few newby questions... Reply with quote

Sean O'Connell wrote:
About to try out the kart for the 1st time and have a couple more questions. ?

Hopefully these are just the beginning of questions, you'll find that very little transfers from suspension cars to karts. It took me far too long, two years I think to ask questions, and even then, I think Rick was just taking pity on me for Jesse's sake.

Quote:
I picked up a 11t sprocket but the needle bearing on the motor now (12t bearing) has a different diameter... do I need a different bearing or did I get the wrong sprocket? Also, my Rotax manual says not to use an 11t if possible- bad for something in there... yet the 11t was suggested for Barnesville.... I assume no one has had issues running the 11t??

The tech side was covered pretty well, the reason why the 11T is good for B'ville is the track configuration itself, with most of the weight of that statement addressing future sprocket damage. The downside, I believe is that one tooth on the rear makes a bigger ratio difference with a smaller tooth on the front, in other words, you lose a very negligible amount of resolution. Nothing to worry about at all there, certainly not enough to offest the risk of damaging a rear sprocket during a points race.

Quote:
How do you accurately measure the oil added to fuel? 93 Octane good??

For Rotax Challenge (RMax) races, VP MS93 is the spec fuel. For general TaG, which GSKA also runs normally, there is no VP spec fuel. I honestly don't know if there is a jetting difference between MS93 and pump 93, but I assume there is because of the ethanol and other additives in the pump gas. For that reason, because I don't have enough brain to calculate or remember the differences if any, we even practice with MS93 whenever possible.

A Ratio Rite (from your local kart shop, or a motorcycle shop I suppose) is the most common method. The hardest part is accurately measuring a gallon of gasoline....

Quote:
When installing my new chain, it was super tight at one spot, but rotate the axle 180' and it was very loose. Weird. I put a different rear sprocket on and it adjusted evenly. The 1st one was a new split sprocket, 2nd a new solid sprocket.

There's no need to run a split sprocket on most 2-cycle karts, the sprocket is outboard of the bearing and is easily removed with the wheel off. Most 4-cycles need the split gear to enable gear changes without removing the axle as the sprocket carrier is usually inside the bearing carriers.

Quote:
Last question for now... is the rib protector worn inside or outside the suit?

Personal preference. Most everyone wears them inside, except for the small kids. It's a lot easier to install an chest protector on the outside of the suit already installed on a kid, than the other way around. Kinda like split versus solid sprockets.
Sean O'Connell

Score: 1026

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Is the VP fuel available at Barnesville or should I just get some Chevron for testing tomorrow?

Anyone going have a ratio right I can use tomorrow?
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29251

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use any 93 gas, just don't go 50:1. Safe ratio is between 32:1 and 40:1. Do you have a right oil? You will need 3-3.5 oz per gallon. Don't forget to lubricate your chain
wesgreene

Score: 3268

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean- I would suggest going to www.rmaxchallenge.com and download the manuals. read them twice and keep with you. Read the whole site. It will help answer a lot of questions you have and will have.

page 75. section 3.3 fuel will tell you to run a mixture of 50:1.

and that's no "BS recommendation from people who DON"T run at the front but are good intentioned."
Patrick French

Score: 3170

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean, adding to what Wes said, the 12t front pinion gear with the thrust bearing is almost bulletproof. I ran one for one and a half seasons and no wear on the gear. I switched to an 11t front this past season because turn one has a bad problem of eating chains and sprockets if you drop a tire. You have to have the bushing instead of the bearing (the inside diameter of the 11t gear is slightly smaller than the 12t and the bearing will not fit) and you need a slightly smaller washer for between the nut and gear to keep the chain from pulling away from the gear. It worked... I didn't drop a single chain this season. The downside: I chewed up an 11t front gear in 5-6 races because I failed to monitor the bushing inside and the clutch plate became really loose. The 11t is great, but just getting into the sport, you may want to use the 12t and have one less thing to worry about.

Good luck on the testing. Feel free to email me or anyone else if you have any more questions.

Patrick
CRG, Rotax #08
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: