| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #14 Registration
2014-11-01 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Jr 2 cycle classes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29336

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeley wrote:
Jesse could run Cadet, but I'd prefer to run Yamaha Jr Sportsman this year.

Personally, I'd like to see the Jr. 2-Cycle classes reduced in number to three total.

Kid Kart, 8-12, and 12-whatever senior starts at.

Reducing the number of classes would reduce the number of races run, reduce the cost burden of trophies to the club and eliminate combining classes in the Jr 2-cycle races.

If you exclude Rotax, there are 4 classes: KidKart, Yam Jr1, Cadet and Yam SuperCan. So you want to reduce Cadet only? Did you sell your engine already? Going to use Yam in Autocross?

As mentioned above, Jr1 needs 1020+ chassis by WKA standards. How easy it is to fit yesterday KidKarter into almost full size chassis? You can put Comer on anything from 850mm to 950mm. If we going to use short chassis for Yamaha, there are two problems:
- your are limited to local races only;
- KT100 needs more space on right side, cutting sidepod will not help.
We tried KT100 in Monticello long time ago on our first red cadet chassis because Michael stuck his Comer in morning session. We were forced to remove sidebar in order to install engine. It was allowed as otherwise he would be sitting and watching others (Easy60) to race.

I don't understand why these revolutionary changes. If we have 1-2 in either of class, combine and you have local option of junior 8-12 with separate scoring.
Jeff Sikes
Junior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 8495

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before this thread goes the wrong way. We are going to run the WKA and Rotax classes per those rule books, there will not be any "one off" classes in the Jr. 2 strokes. I do want your input and thoughts on how to combine classes/ which classes to combine/when to combine or do we always combine/how to set the grid and so forth. I would like to have set policy so we do not get into the dads trying to figure it out on the grid.

Jeff
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33789

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can put Comer on anything from 850mm to 950mm.

Actually according to the 2009 WKA Rule Book, the Cadet Chassis spec's are:
Min 35" = 889mm
Max 41" = 1041mm

The Junior 1 Chassis Spec's are:
min 40" = 1016mm (therefore the 1020mm karts are legal)
Max 43" = 1092mm

For all Dad's that are planning on racing in Junior Sportsman and Juniors, (but not Cadet), especially the lower HP karts the 1020mm chassis are extremely fast.
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29336

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure, John?
I remember Cadet chassis were 35"-39".
Jr1 43" ?! Most of the adult chassis are 41"
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33789

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the 2009 WKA Tech Manual on page 12.
214.1 Cadet Sportsman Final 1&2
KART: Overall Max length 72", Wheelbase 35" Min. and 41" Max.

On page 14, Top Right hand corner it shows a diagram. It also shows Cadet Kart Wheelbase 41" max., 35" min. Under the diagram it states:
All other Sprint Chassis specifications apply. Cadet kart is legal in Cadet Junior Sportsman classes only.

On page 14, In the Top Middle of page, it shows a diagram. Full size sprint Kart wheel base 43" max., 40" min.

The 2008 Tech Manual has the same numbers listed.
Seeley

Score: 2948

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihor Bilyy wrote:

If you exclude Rotax, there are 4 classes: KidKart, Yam Jr1, Cadet and Yam SuperCan. So you want to reduce Cadet only? Did you sell your engine already? Going to use Yam in Autocross?

I have a K80, Rotax, and have a Yamaha on order. I have two Cadet chassis and one full size chassis. The full size will run Yamaha, Clone, or Briggs easily.

I do not want to reduce Cadet only. I want to reduce all classes to just three, Kid Kart, 8-12, 12-senior. Any 2 cycle engine is legal as long as package meets the respective (WKA, Rotax, whatever) specs. That way all kids 8-12 race together, all kids older race together. Some will have faster engines, no big deal, they qualify better and grid up front. It's a lot like combining classes, except the parents cannot complain about having a class split, or having to start faster kids in the back just because their engine is supposed to be slower.

It's just an idea, Jeff asked for ideas. I know Minimax would own all, and we're not running Minimax, so it can't be said that I'm trying to build a class for my son to win.

edit to add info:
In the end, it doesn't really matter to me. We are running GSKA this year for fun, not to take trophies from other boys and girls. We will race Georgia RMax seriously to insure qualification for Norman, and are running FWT seriously.
There's no point in running autox seriously, so we can continue running the Cadet there as well. If Simon decides to run autox, we'll have to put effort into it, but otherwise not.
If Jeff/BoD decided to simply eliminate the Yamaha options and run only Comer Cadet for 8-12, we'd do that as well.
Even if all current 8-12 year old classes are run together, scored separate, and and the grid was arranged by class instead of actual performance, we'll be fine with it. I think that is worst case, except for running four different races of 2 or 3 kids each, but we'd still do it.

We're looking forward to the 2009 season, it's not my fault Jeff didn't have the forethought to say "anyone except Dale" when asking for opinions. Laughing
Jeff Sikes
Junior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forethought is not in my DNA, I am a reactionist !! Stocks are up I buy when they are low I sell. If I thought ahead more than one minute behind actual time I would not be the 2 cycle director ! Very Happy Very Happy
Gary Head

Score: 2752

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh.... what flight did you say you'd be on ? Laughing Laughing
sorry Jeff, I couldn't resist
ROTAX #23 CRG
Chris Cooper

Score: 62

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a great time this past year. Greg was very excited to finally get to race 'his' kart - instead of 'wrenching' on dad's kart the past few years.

Greg will run Yamaha Jr1 and possibly one other class - TBD.

Are we going to keep the open tire rule or stay with the MG HZs only ?
Jeff Sikes
Junior 2 Cycle Director

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

We are working out the tires as we speak and I hope we can let everyone know soon. If you see a good deal on HZ's I would not pass them up. See you in Daytona.

Merry Christmas

Jeff

Gary,

If you are scared say you are scared Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: