| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
jesse, simon and ross,
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33772

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to Simon, Jesse and Ross. Keep up the great work. I know everyone will be wishing you and others a great FWT.

Alot has been said to preparation, having fun, practice, etc. But I would add a couple of comments.
1. Practice is great, but keep in mind that there are different types of practice. Just going out to drive laps, doesn't really help you prepare for these big events.
a. Practice your driving skills (braking, being smooth, cornering, etc.)
b. Practice to learn different chassis changes. Not knowing the effects of toe, caster, camber, ride height, tire pressures, etc when RUBBER is being layed down at these bigger tracks will hurt you big time.

2. This is almost impossible to teach, but Race Craft is so critical to being in the front when competing against 20 plus drivers.

As many have said. - GO HAVE FUN. You will enjoy it.
richie#89

Score: 8854

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck guys! wish we could join you.

i agree in thinking that racing at big races is very important. for angus' 3rd race ever, i took him to race in a national qualifier when he was only 4 years old. since then, we've hit as many big ones as we could, to the point of where the big ones just seem normal. when angus finally got to race after the nascar race in his bando a couple of months ago, he felt like this was normal again. exposure to all that is good, cause otherwise it can be distracting.
Brent Harper

Score: 4525

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only about 21 days left before Homestead... Razz

That being said I must comment on the postings that I have been reading above. I and would like to clarify a few things that I hold to be the truth and only the truth so help me God. Very Happy .

1) Raw talent is DEFINETELY needed to race competively at the National level. All of the practice in the world will only make you FASTER than you already are but not necessarily fast enough to race at the highest level. Now by competively I mean the ability to run with the front 10-15% of your class and eventually win. A lot of people have the ability to develop into really fast drivers... They just get lost along the way chasing BS recommendations from people who DON"T run at the front but are good intentioned. Problem is good intentions don't win races. Basically you're not going to become the fastest driver you can be without the correct guidance or LOTS OF TIME AND MONEY... The guidance is much cheaper..

2)Racecraft.... The one thing that really will help you once you get to the level of your competition and can smell the win ahead!! Very Happy I agree with John W. that racecraft is very hard to teach someone, but if and when they learn it amazing things start to happen.. They start contesting for the win.

3)Good Equipment... Hook-up with someone who again can guide and direct you with chassis set-up etc... KNOWLEDGE of set-up is the hardest thing to get in Kart racing. Anyone at the GSKA/RMAX races have tons of people to get the correct info from.. Allen, John W., Rick, Stevie, Jim Hanson, Seeley (sometimes) Laughing and if I did'nt put your name here and you fall into this group please don't take it personally. I'm a racer;therefore, I have a bad memory..

4)Practice is also very important but it is the kind of practice that makes a difference.. If you practice bad habits you get better at those bad habits... Again, I say quality not quantity..

I hope to see all you guys down at the FWT this year.. Also I want to say how impressed I am with the kids.. Jesse, Connor, Simon, Mark' daughter(I told you I had a bad memory) Michael B. who looked great at Ocala, Angus, Ross and all of the others who race at GSKA and have drastically improved since we moved. Heck you guys have Bailey ready to race again.. Very Happy Lastly, I wish I could practice half as much as everyone thinks I do.. Surprised

The thing I see racers struggle with the most is an honest evaluation of themselves, their abilities, and their knowledge(tuning). If one can get through that hurdle then they can really begin to grow and improve in this sport!!!!!!

Allen, get back in a Rotax!!!

CMC KARTS
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33772

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent Quote:
Quote:
If you practice bad habits you get better at those bad habits

So true. This is why almost every form of sports have coaches. To perfect the correct technique and eliminate bad habits. I always wondered why drivers will spend thousands of dollars to go to a big races, yet never bother to spend a bit extra for coaching.
amax20

Score: 3643

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent Harper wrote:
Allen, get back in a Rotax!!!

Brent,
Watching you for the past year has got me all revved up to get out there and chase you. Maybe before the end of this year i will be on your bumper. Plus it is a great bunch of guys that run gska, just wish that they would all get together and run other places even if it is local shows. 5 or 6 go to jax or ocala, monticello. The competition level would increase alot.

This post started out as a congratulations to the little ones who have done what most of us adults should be doing with the karts. Jesse raced his butt off with the help of his dad and alot of others. Say what you want about dale he has always been committed (or should be Very Happy ) to jesse and racing. Same goes for Jeff and Carl with simon and ross. Simon turned 8 and instantly goes to Daytona how cool is that. Ihor if i am not mistaken doesnt even race any more to get michael running good. They will be hard to out run this year. I am not even going to mention Ritchie and Angus, man those two should own property in Barnesville.
Dont try to fool anybody i see how much you practice, even if it is going to ocala on a local show and try'n different things in the heats and main.
So any way Congratulations to Jesse, Ross, Simon ALSO to Brent and Palmer.

Everybody needs help to go fast, Last year Raceway Motorsports helped me out a ton. I know that in years past Brent and myself raced with Dickie and learned more than i can ever tale. Get with somebody that is fast and doesnt blow smoke, listen and learn as much as possible and before you know it you will be looking to win on a regular basis. enjoy the ride.
Brent Harper

Score: 4525

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeh!!
I must say that when I first showed up at Barnesville with my Action yamaha and my 4 year old Invader chassis that Rick helped me out and got me going in the right direction (clutch, carb, etc..). Then I got to know Dickie and he started taking me to other tracks etc... That helped me grow as a driver more than anything to that point. I had gotten fast at Barnesville but going somewhere else and haviing to be fast at their home track was a big awakening..Especially since I was still in a Yamaha and the class was 100cc Controlled.( Reed Motors).

I could go on and on about those days but they are a perfect example of what I posted above.. And if anyone ever asked me about set-up etc.. at the track I will tell you (as some of you know) exactly what I am running wether you believe it or not.. Good luck and we look forward to seeing you guys soon...

I never thought I would live long enough to feel like those were the days!!! Laughing Laughing

CMC KARTS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: