| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #14 Registration
2014-11-01 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Why all Barnesville?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean O'Connell

Score: 1026

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Why all Barnesville? Reply with quote

I know the Dublin track is being considered (and I hope we include it) but how about little Talladega?

http://www.tgprace.com/index.html

or the infield at Road Atlanta (short course between 6 & 7)?
wesgreene

Score: 3268

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil talley is a great track. 2008, there was only one race held there (Big South). I haven't heard if there will be a 2009 race. Hope so.
Seeley

Score: 2948

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGPR, unless David has added a circuit shortcut since I was there last, is really too big for a sprint race. Not too big for a roadrace, but the straights are too long and the corners too sweeping for a sprintrace.

It *could* be done, but I can't imagine the boredom for the parents and probably the drivers as well in the spec gear and/or rpm limited Junior classes.

Same thing for the Road Atlanta short course, plus the expense of rental with the new ownership there. I'm assuming you mean the main track with the shortcut off the back straight to the exit of the esses. The true infield course near the skidpad could be used for single kart time trials, but I don't think it would handle a race.

Atlanta Motor Speedway has a course that could be adapted, but cost of rental there is crazy.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33789

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean,
We are very open to other tracks and I believe we are seriously looking at having some events at the Dublin track provided they can make the necessary improvements such as Safety barriers and eliminate some of the very tight corners. I hear, although I have not seen the track that there is only 1 passing zone and that is very difficult.

Little Talledega is not suitable for low and medium HP karts.

Road Atlanta skip pad and auto cross course is also not suitable for several reasons. First it is not wide enough and second in order for it to work you have to be along the metal armco's barriers. Not safe. Several years ago we tested this as a possiblity and everyone agreed it was not feasible.
Doug Austin
Senior 4 Cycle Director

Score: 5919

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like to put my .02 in mike p. can vouch..If you start doing these tracks your looking at new gears, tires, etc..the price of racing just went above the budget for alot of racers..I'm getting back into it because of the low budget and fun.These smaller tracks are where good racers start,The family atmosphere,the fellowship with other racers,sharing good times and creating new ones..Let's not loose this...
Sean O'Connell

Score: 1026

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you, but going to different tracks every now and then is fun.

I'm not bashing Barnesville, just thinking an entire 16 race season at one track might be a bit monotonous...
Chuck McCue
Banned User

Score: 5102

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil' Talladega would work with some temp. Chicanes. Our driver Andre' Des Marais set fast time there in 80cc Jr. at the SKUSA Nationals that were held there years ago on the old layout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: