| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #14 Registration
2014-11-01 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Yamaha Pipe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clay Lovejoy

Score: 837

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason the can class is hanging on is because it's alot cheaper to run. Not near as hard on engine or clutch. If all the Yammies would be interested in runin' can I will put one together. In fact it's already together. I have a clone also, but have been dreading fooling with valve's

Rainbird
Michael Jackson

Score: 5336

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are the mystery carb found on the Yamaha engine scares people away. If there was another non adjustable forgiving alternative to there carb I believe many folks would give them a try. A newbie is at a disadvantage and not staying on top of the carb during the race either makes you slow or worse yet stick an engine.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33789

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is absolutely no magic to these carb's. It is mind boggling to me that people are worried about the carb adjustment. If you have a good engine builder, they will tell you where to set the carb. I have been tuning a Yamaha carb for 13 years and I can tell you they are a piece of cake with a Can. With a Pipe, you have a possibility of sticking a motor, but only if you do something stupid, like trying to lean it down. In 13 years I have never stuck a Yamaha motor. Now an ICA motor that turns 20,000 rpm, now that is not for an inexperienced racer.

I would rather tune a Yamaha carb than a 4 cycle carb any day.
Clay Lovejoy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to have never stuck a Yamaha at Barnesville. Now Jacksonville is a little different story. Michael, Yamaha carb is not a problem. I love being able to adjust on the run.
RB
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28689

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wehrheim wrote:
There is absolutely no magic to these carb's...

I would rather tune a Yamaha carb than a 4 cycle carb any day.

I agree on both counts. I ran Yamaha pipe for about a year, and tuning was very straightforward. My engine builder gave me the base settings and then about all I ever had to do is just slightly tweak the high side on the track. That tweak was very easy to get right with seat-of-the-pants and CHT. With the inexpensive EGT guages now, I would think Yamaha would be a piece of cake.

I also liked the old flathead carbs, real easy to tweak on track. I really hate the float-bowl carbs like the animal and clone have. Total PITA.

DT
jim silverheels

Score: 751

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Thought I'd pass this on Reply with quote

We recently cooked two yamaha's rings from running lean (lost their tension).... my son had the low end opened way up and the high was way open and he kept telling me the exhaust and head temp were high.. very high...... the damn carb needle was stuck only partially open on us.. i always debur the needles on a granite plate with 320 wet sandpaper when rebuilding the carb and it still stuck.... thought i would pass this on in case this happens to ya... happy turkey day my friends
animalpalace

Score: 20

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: yamaha pipe Reply with quote

I will be running a yamaha pipe once I learn how to drive it. Laughing I hope some of you decide to bring your out as well.
Clay Lovejoy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP
I would highly recommend you start out with can instead of pipe. Slip clutch very little to start out.

RB
scott tarrer 6

Score: 528

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: yamha pipe re; Reply with quote

hey i am a yamaha man i talked to a guy at the last race and he had a yamaha pipe kart he wants to run next year i will be going to the track with him during off time and run his name is MARIO i would like to see more yamaha pipe next year. if you have yamaha pipe please run it next season so we can maybe bring on more people in it we cant let it fizzel out
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28689

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: yamha pipe re; Reply with quote

scott tarrer 6 wrote:
hey i am a yamaha man i talked to a guy at the last race and he had a yamaha pipe kart he wants to run next year i will be going to the track with him during off time and run his name is MARIO i would like to see more yamaha pipe next year. if you have yamaha pipe please run it next season so we can maybe bring on more people in it we cant let it fizzel out

This is the whole purpose of my 2009 Roll Call thread. If you guys want to run Yamaha Pipe, go to the thread and let me know:

http://georgiasprintkarting.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2176

DT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: