| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #14 Registration
2014-11-01 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
shifter 80 class
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28669

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie#89 wrote:
an 80 shifter will make it around the track in 21.8? that's why they are sounding appealing to me

And I'd bet willing to be motor HP is up since then....

DT
richie#89

Score: 8854

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's sounding better and better ... the dads i met at the skip barber races said that the best thing to do is to get a kid into a shifter asap if they want to get into those skip barber cars. john, do you agree? that's my reasoning more than being able to race it against alot of kids like in the minimax class. but my ignorance thinks it would be cool if a few local kids had them and they could hang it out and battle locally in the 22 second lap times! like connor and michael and jesse, etc.

in motocross, when angus got off automatics and had to learn to shift, his skills went through the roof. repair bills did as well, cause he figured out it's faster to not even use the clutch. he only used that to blast out of corners and get rpms up. we went through alot of flywheels, too.
Chuck McCue
Banned User

Score: 5102

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the dads i met at the skip barber races said that the best thing to do is to get a kid into a shifter asap"

Those dads are 100% incorrect.

Take Wehrheim's advice,. If you truly want to make your son as fast as he can be a non-gearbox kart is the way to go. The fastest auto drivers to come out of karting spent very little time in a gearbox kart. Names such as Shumacher, Hamilton, Senna, Mike Wilson, etc.
Car control and smooth driving are what need to be honed. A gearbox does nothing but distract, IMO.
We held track records at Jax103 and Talladega in 80cc Shifter, won SKUSA events, but that was some of the most expensive racing ever with the programmable ignitions, exploding 3rd gears, etc,

Also where are you going to race? WKA does not offer 80cc gearbox and the class is dead EVERYWHERE except the Northwest.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33789

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the dads i met at the skip barber races said that the best thing to do is to get a kid into a shifter asap if they want to get into those skip barber cars. john, do you agree?

I disagree completely and I believe Chris would disagree along with many other karters who went from karting to Skippy.

Also look at the F1 drivers. They did come from Shifters, they come from direct drive. You have to remember that shifters can create bad habits. What separates the top drivers from the mid pack drivers. There are several reasons, but one is the ability to be smooth and carry your speed through the corner. This is the reason direct drive was the premier class in Europe.

Also, look at the Connor Daly and Joseph Newgarden. They raced skip barber and they did not race shifters. I think if you looked at the top Skippy drivers (over the years) that are running the national series did not come from shifters.

You can always talk to Chris. He coaches at Skip Barber
richie#89

Score: 8854

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, i trust you guys know what you're talking about. i'll forget about the shifter route and stick with cadet and minimax.

as for his other racing, we have a full week of bandolero racing this week. angus is working with an instructor (rusty clanton) tonight at AMS, practicing again thursday, and then racing friday night. learning to drive ovals has been good for angus so far, and i highly recommend it to you other guys. plus it's tons more racing. we'll race 2-3 times a month all winter, and then every single thursday night during the summer as well as some friday and saturday nights. add this to FWT racing and local racing at barnesville throughout the year, and we'll get tons of starts in 2009. it would be great to see the barnesville kids at AMS and lanier, etc. jesse seeley is considering it, so hopefully he'll be with us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: