| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #3 Registration
2014-04-19 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Clutch question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandon danke

Score: 538

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Clutches Reply with quote

Are we slower in the esses than most tracks?
It seems like our revs drop enough to where the clutch may start disengaging before the right hander, putting more wear than on a faster track...
Carl Cottrell

Score: 4846

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clutch engages at ~3000rpm or at least it is supposed to and I don't think you slow down that much.

The only time I spun a clutch off was at Moroso. I think it was because I kept running up on the curbs in the esses and basically do what Rick was describing - 'shocking the clutch.'
mark sheffield

Score: 182

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My clutch did the same thing race before last at Bakers Creek. It only spun going through the technical just as you get on it hard before starting up the hill. I would have to baby it or it would spin all the way up and over the hill. I pulled it off, cleaned and lapped it, then re-installed. (I used locktite as well). So far, no slippage at all during last race.
clarence

Score: 8229

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of heating it up before installing it, that sounds like the way to go.
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 26728

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the engineering design meeting now..

Executive 1: "Forget the key, without it they will spin clutches and trash the crank"

Executive 2: "And we sell more cranks!"

Executive 3: "Brilliant!" Beer Beer Beer

Don't feel bad, Briggs has done it for years to the 4 cycle guys. Tanks and Carbs, Carbs and tanks.

DT
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing about the clutch situation, if there is one, is that the clutch hub is softer than the crank, so the hub loses the taper and has to be replaced not the crank. I wish it were the other way, I would be doing a lot more engine work. This is beating a dead horse, but, the problem when a clutch spins, you have to get an entire assembly, to be Rotax legal. There is a company that sells just the hub, but, it is not legal..... if that part ever gets teched there may be an issue.
And never, never heat the hub before assembly, the other possible issues are endless with that.

RS
Carl Cottrell

Score: 4846

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtebbe wrote:
I can see the engineering design meeting now..

Executive 1: "Forget the key, without it they will spin clutches and trash the crank"

Executive 2: "And we sell more cranks!"

Executive 3: "Brilliant!" Beer Beer Beer

Don't feel bad, Briggs has done it for years to the 4 cycle guys. Tanks and Carbs, Carbs and tanks.

DT

I don't think that is the case. These are tough little motors and like I said before, I have only had one clutch come off and the motor and clutch were 4 years old plus the pin broke on the flywheel. Just had to buy a new clutch. IMHO, I don't think there's a more durable racing kart motor out there. Get you a Micro and you'll see what I mean.

BTW, I think Kevin's motor has 3 seasons on it.
Gary Head

Score: 2752

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's a new one for any of the Rotax guys who have spun a clutch and thinking it may be "shocking" the clutch in the esses or whatever.
As you all know I've only run one race this year and that was back in April I think.
The kart is kept in my garage and the coldest it has been in the garage is 54 degrees. I've averaged starting the kart at least once ever two weeks basically to get my fix from the smell of the fuel Laughing
I did so just last week and all was well,let it run for 3-4 minutes as usual,shut it off and all was fine. Then yesterday went to start the thing and the CLUTCH HAS SPUN ! Shocked %^#*!
By the way the engine and clutch has only 15 hours on it....... go figure
ROTAX #23 CRG
KevinFrench

Score: 4285

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what happened with mine. I had never even had my clutch off of the motor before. I showed up at the track, hit the starter button and heard that sickening sound of dollar bills being sucked out of my wallet.
Kosmic Mercury #602
Seeley

Score: 2948

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinFrench wrote:
That's exactly what happened with mine. I had never even had my clutch off of the motor before. I showed up at the track, hit the starter button and heard that sickening sound of dollar bills being sucked out of my wallet.

How were you doing the maintenance on it without removing it? I haven't figured out a way to clean out the dust and grime, then lube the bearing without pulling it odd the crankshaft. You can save me a lot of time during my cleanup after every track day.

Thanks in advance,
Dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: