| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Good Bye, DrChip!
Too many rules ruin a good time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerry Wilson

Score: 6479

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price of my clone:

Engine $129 plus tax from Harbor Freight $138.00
Removed governor myself $ 0.00
Rigged up carb linkage $ 1.00
Header with muffler $ 60.00
Noram clutch $ 0.00 (already had)

My total cost ready to race. $199.00

Even if I had to buy a new Noram clutch which would have been around $90.00, $100 with shipping, cost is still only around $300.00.

I am sure some did it for less or some just a slight more but for the most part still below the $500 mentioned.

I only bought 1 and as for reliability I tested several times during the winter and spring leading up to the season start and have run 8 races so far this season and the engine is still good and I run up front for the most part. I know others who have put many laps on theirs and as far as I know, none have given any trouble so far.

What about it guys, am I right on this.

Oh, buy the way, what does "fix" it mean. They are supposed to be stock by the rules.
Invader #9
Mike Pugh
Race Director

Score: 35712

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right on the money Kerry.

And Ihor...I didn't mean to step on any toes.
I was just "funnin" around. Smile
But now we are on the subject...that is not a good argument.
Lewis Stout sells complete clone motor packages ready to race, clutch, pipe and all for $225 ready to bolt on...Oh...and it is brand new.
And I want to know who in the world has $500 in there motor?
Please let me know.Because if I find out I will claim it for $200.
As a matter of fact ,the guy that has won the last 2 races has less than $500 in the whole package.
Kart,motor,tires and all.Also he set the clone fast time record.
So for the price of a used rotax motor($1800) he can buy 3 whole karts and have $300 bucks left to go to the Rolex 24 in Daytona in January. Smile
A rebuild cost less than $10...The price of 2 valve springs.You can buy from Lewis as well.That is all we can do.
Now I have to agree there is no way we are in the same league with the rotax.
But we still have a blast.And we are having the most entry's at the present time. Wink
John Wehrheim

Score: 33906

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my clone for $99.99 plus tax. Yes I bought 3 Clones, but why not when you are only spending only $107.00, with tax. Add a clutch, pipe, silencer, motor mount, chain guard and I am up to $340.00

A Rotax complete rebuild will cost you $900 - $1,100. I built my complete setup for only $950.00. I sure would not want the rebuild bill for the Rotax. Ouch.
Darrin Tebbe
Information Technology

Score: 28909

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rippinrace wrote:
I remember the race mid 90's where Jolly got together with someone in the dogleg and Jollys kart went flipping way in the air and Jolly got out of kart and got in the face of the other driver.
It was unreal...Do not even know how he got up.
The winter nationals was awesome.
Glad I had a chance to be a part of it.

I remember Joey Lunati in his ragged out leather driving suit, and 135 open with 2 carbs and an axle clutch leaving two blackmarks going out of the pits. If I remember right he was turning low 21 sec laps, and this was back when tire technology was not nearly what it is today.

DT
amax20

Score: 3643

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rippinrace wrote:
I remember the race mid 90's where Jolly got together with someone in the dogleg and Jollys kart went flipping way in the air and Jolly got out of kart and got in the face of the other driver.
It was unreal...Glad I had a chance to be a part of it.

That is the same race i am talking about. Man that was some wild stuff. Haddock went on his head also. He got up of the dirt and the first thing out of his mouth was "MAN WHAT A RIDE". That was some of the best racin ever other than the unlimiteds at jax. Those were when it was truely open wheel. No body work unless you wanted it. When you touched wheels you actually went in the air. Jolly and those guys had some of the best kart control. Same year that Jolly led the open 4-stroke class all the way until the last lap and than chunked a motor.

You know we ran the star motor's that year. They are like driving a chevy down the front strech. Now that would be a class for the 4-stroke guys to move up to after the clone.
amax20

Score: 3643

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtebbe wrote:

I remember Joey Lunati in his ragged out leather driving suit, and 135 open with 2 carbs and an axle clutch leaving two blackmarks going out of the pits. If I remember right he was turning low 21 sec laps, and this was back when tire technology was not nearly what it is today.

DT

I think it would be cool to take a rotax or a tag and throw an axle clutch on one of them. Probably not as fast as the old open motors with the 2 carbs but i bet it would still be a pretty fun ride. Of course than you would have to actually work on something. That would be almost like racing. Very Happy
Carl Cottrell

Score: 4846

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wehrheim wrote:
A Rotax complete rebuild will cost you $900 - $1,100. I built my complete setup for only $950.00. I sure would not want the rebuild bill for the Rotax. Ouch.

I have been racing Rotax for 8 years and have never spent that on a rebuild. I stripped out a crank on a motor that was 4 years old and did a complete rebuild top and bottom end for $850. Now that was 4 years ago and since then only other major item was a clutch and it was 5 years old.

The Rotax comes with a 12 month warranty new and you can get 2 to 3 seasons before you have to touch it unless you just tear it up abuse it. So it may be a little more expensive up front but the total cost of running a Rotax I feel is the best in karting.

The one thing you can be sure is the motors are equal. I have seen it proven over and over. And I love the seal! I know for sure it is setup and driver.

How about clone? Do you really think a $200 claim rule is going to keep anybody from cheating. I remember listening to Carl Edwards talk about some of his early racing days where he was winning a championship and on the last race he got his motor claimed. Now I can't remember the exact numbers but it was like $1000 claim rule and he had $10k in the motor.
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29428

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the point was, for $500 you have 2-3 engines, just in case you have to swap and availability of engines. Raise your hands who has only 1
John Wehrheim

Score: 33906

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl,
Maybe you have a deal with Rick because he quoted a year ago that a complete rebuild from him was $900. Also, you are assuming a racer does not break any parts. What about the local guys that had to replace the cylinder due to a stick, due to water freezing in their cylinder over the winter, bad ignitiion coil, clutch replacement, blown bottom end, blown water pump, broken radiator, etc. I am not saying the Rotax is not reliable, it is, but lets not forget things do break and need to be replaced. All we are saying is for a whopping $107 you can buy a motor. So my motor only lasts only a season, I put another motor on that I bought for $107. I am still way ahead of the Rotax cost.

Last edited by John Wehrheim on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
clarence

Score: 8229

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truely enjoy building and tuning my own engine. It's half of the racing for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: