| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
Race #13
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff bacon

Score: 15254

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain racing would be a top discussion for the new board. People need to think about what position they would want to run for next year.
www.jeffsgarageandspeedshop.com
www.gakartsales.com
Michael Jackson

Score: 5336

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes start thinking about what position you want to be elected to. My thoughts on the rain racing are. No slicks if it is very wet and all competitors will have to be on rain tire. I believe that is the only safe way to run the race. Slicks have no place on the track in wet weather. Yes it is fun but unsafe and dangerous. Insurance comes into the equation with liability placed on all of the elected board members. I for one don't have the money to pay someones bills when the insurance denies the claim due to negligence on the clubs part or worse yet cancels our insurance. If the new Officials want too, please be my guest. If you want to place blame on someone it was my decision. I was acting in the absence of our usual director.I think the majority will be back for the race and will have a much better time.
As far as real racing is done in the rain I guess all of the NASCAR Drivers are wimps or a common sense prevails in there directors. Karting I guess is based more on the Road Atlanta type cars. Nothing wrong with racing in the rain but it is the end of the season and if the new board decides on racing in the rain you will have all winter to purchase tires and rims.
DrChip
2014 President

Score: 47503

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff bacon wrote:
Rain racing would be a top discussion for the new board. People need to think about what position they would want to run for next year.

How about using hand grooved older tires (seriously). We would groove our slicks in the late 50's for the dirt track we ran.

For those of you who may not know, there are tire groovers out that looks like an old style hand held soldering iron (not gun) with a "u" shaped cutter that heats up, and then is pushed through the rubber cutting/melting it.

This is old school technology, and not sure if there groovers are still available. But this would allow clone owners to get a set of used tires and hand cut them: a little sweat equity for the winter.

We could get one groover and pass it around! cb
Michael Jackson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for them in truck tire tools or sprint cars also use them. For the price of the Continentials your way ahead. Look at Jeffs post. I bought a complete set for $59 shipped. Nothing wrong with them just left overs from Continential no longer producing kart racing tires.
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29299

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, MJ: what is in a way to see mylaps from race 13 ?
Michael Jackson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihor Angela will post them later today. Michael was turning a very quick time if I remember correctly.
Ihor Bilyy
Site Admin

Score: 29299

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm pleased with his results - 23.717 average of 15 laps. Thats faster than previous record.
metzgerov

Score: 1620

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the rulebook: Wet/Dry Conditions: If wet conditions are deemed unsafe for slick tire racing, then the race will be considered a rain out.

So as of now we have no provisions for rain racing in any respect even with rain tyres. Rules are rules so I understand the decision better now(should have read them before Wink )

Is our insurance ok with rain racing as long as there are rain tyres involved? Is this a club wide rule or can it be tailored class by class?

Is there any info on how the board works? Whos running, what their
stance is ect?

Sorry for all the questions
Michael Jackson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rules for this season as far as I know are set, unless it is a safety issue. The 2009 season rules will be decided and posted by incoming elected administration. Now is the time to get ready for nominations for next year.
I see rain racing coming so that is why I ordered tires and rain suit. If it is in the rules for next season I'll be lined up with you Shane and anybody else who wants to try it. Initial cost for the Clone Class was considered this year but most of us have that covered and might have enough left in the budget for some rain tires next year.
metzgerov

Score: 1620

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Most of the guys in clone already have rain tyres that I know of(regular runners)

I know Mike has them and John I believe Kerry as well but I could be wrong
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: