| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #13 Registration
2014-10-25 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
  GSKA 2014 Banquet Registration
2014-11-16 19:00:00 GMT+00:00
Opinion Piece - Arbitrary Award of Competition Points - Long
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Rahl

Score: 60

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie#89

I based my points chase assesment on the results page, and who received 25 extra points without competition.
Understand that when this happened there were 6 races to go.
But no matter how you calculate it, it has made an unfair impact.

In the Senior Rotax class, second and third places are swapped.
In The Tag Class, 25 points to leader only, is a Major advantage.
And, Yes, In the Cadet class, the Point Leader's, safe lead, was drastically reduced.
In Cadet, points were given to second place, your son, and fifth place.

Who drops what, is not the issue.

Racing shouldn't take place in unsafe rain conditions.
It should not have, and didn't that day.
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28544

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, you had to be at the track, registered for the race, AND payed the entry fee. We were at the track and had registered early, but did not pay the registration fee, so we did not get any points. For us, the points were not worth $60. If we had been in any sort of position where we needed the points, I would have payed the fee in a heartbeat. I don't really have a problem with the policy, since it's in writing and anyone in a points race should be prepared to do what it takes to maintain their position.

I do, however, agree that points should only be awarded if earned on the track. Meaning that if qualifying had taken place, points should then be awarded.

I also think drops are total BS. A championship is a championship. If it's a 16 race series, then all events should count. If you miss a race, sorry about your luck.

DT
Mike Pugh
Race Director

Score: 35230

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren
I agree a %100 percent with what you wrote.

Mainly with this quote
Quote:
I also think drops are total BS. A championship is a championship. If it's a 16 race series, then all events should count. If you miss a race, sorry about your luck.

It penalizes the people that make every race. Wink
richie#89

Score: 8854

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i totally disagree with not having drops. because if you don't have drops, since we are not professionals, then the fastest racer doesn't win, but the racer who comes to the most events.

and rick, vacation going great, but drinking too much california wine!
Darrin Tebbe
Out to pasture

Score: 28544

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie#89 wrote:
i totally disagree with not having drops. because if you don't have drops, since we are not professionals, then the fastest racer doesn't win, but the racer who comes to the most events.

IMHO...

Races are won with speed.

Championships are won with speed, consistency, and most importantly, commitment.

DT
clarence

Score: 8229

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and money!
Southern Star Karting

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry I agree with you 100% also , I would rather earn a 4th place trophy than be handed a 1 first place by default , but, this is how the rules are set up for this season , and I chose to enter the races based on them. There are a lot of things that need changing and hopefully they will change. In your example for senior rotax the 3rd place kart as of now is not eligable for a year end trophy ( if he enters all remaining races he will only have 11 entries and you need 12 to qualify. In the TaG class I am the only one eligable for a year end trophy beacause I will be the only one in the class that has the 12 races needed) . So if you go by the rules for this season then if you miss the first 5 races or start in the middle of the season then you are NOT eligable for year end awards.So because of the way the rules are set up the rain days mean a lot more than just 25 points. Its something I don't agree with ,but, I knew it coming into the competition year. Hopefully next year the NEW board with rethink the policy and get it where the fastest , most consitiant will win.
I also DO agree with the 3 drops because its a family club and family things do occur on race weekend than can't be helped .

BTW in the Tag class on that rain out day there were at least 3 other Tag karts there that choose not to enter because of the rain.
Mac Norman

Score: 3012

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree strongly with Mike and Darren!
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie#89 wrote:
vacation going great, but drinking too much california wine!

That is not possible Laughing See you when you get home.
KevinFrench

Score: 4287

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, this is not an official BOD response..simply my personal opinion as a first year Board member.

It's easy to see just from the responses to this post, how many differing opinions there are regarding rain days. There is no easy solution for dealing with the curve balls that Mother Nature can throw at us...and she has thrown them many times this season!

The CURRENT board made decisions based on the way things ran last year and trying to be fair to all competitors, while still covering our bills that we face with every race day. If the bills aren't paid, we're done...no racing...period.

This is a no win situation for the team that is running the events. Nobody is happy when there is a rain out and it is nearly impossible to satisfy those who made the drive in hopes of getting the race in AND those who chose not to make the drive assuming it would be rained out. I am sure that if somebody can come up with a reasonable solution, taking into account that the rent still must be paid if we are at the track and the workers must be paid for their time at the track then it will be considered for next season by the NEW (please!) board.

Everyone needs to remember that this club is still in its infancy compared to most other racing organizations. All positions are filled by volunteers (I use this term loosely) and nobody claims to be an expert on any of this.

This is a good time to remind everyone that nominations for next season are just around the corner, so if you want to be involved, be sure to step up when that time comes.

See you at the next race...hopefully with 0% chance of rain!!

Kevin
Kosmic Mercury #602
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    GSKA Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: