| Search | Memberlist | Forum Register | Profile | Log in to check your private messages | Log in |
  GSKA 2014 Race #11 Registration
2014-09-06 13:00:00 GMT+00:00
Only one Rotax entered in the Robopong race

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel White

Score: 6196

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Only one Rotax entered in the Robopong race Reply with quote

But it's on pole! Shocked

The overwhelming majority of karts are powered by Leopards.
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is Zack Beard aboard a Birel chassis. Cool
Daniel White

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Race result Reply with quote

Of the top 10, eight were Arrow chassis. A Gillard (or something like that) was 6th or 7th, and the pole-sitting Birel was 10th.

In the engine department, the top-running non-Leopard was the Birel-Rotax in 10th. A PRD finished 14th I think.

The top-finishing celebrity driver was Scott Goodyear, who teamed with Dismore, Sr. to finish 15th.

Chris Wehrheim clearly had some sort of mechanical issue all weekend. They didn't even make it to 1/4 distance.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33593

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 2 Rotax's, a handful of Vortex Rok TT's and the 70 plus Parilla's. Out of 83 entries a Rotax with a Birel chassis sat on Pole. Now maybe Rotax guys will start believing that they can win against a Parilla or other Tag motors. Of course you have to have driving and tuning talent too.

Chris qualified, but unfortunately as he took the green for qualifying the chain came off. Chris started in 78th position but by lap 55 when he came in for his first pit stop he was in 20th position. He passed 58 karts in 55 laps. John Zartarian, Chris's teammate for this event took the helm. But unfortunately some yahoo (the only other Rotax driver) decided to come back on the track in front of John. John flipped and was dazed. Luckily he was out of his kart because a group of karts came over the hill and one of the drivers hit the kart. That driver was sent to the hospital with we believe a broken ankle. To say the least Chris' was a write off. Luckily John is ok.

Here is a picture of the kart. Only parts not bent, front bumper, foot pedals, spindles probably ok, left side side pod.

Brantley French

Score: 3050

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Shocked glad it seems everyone is ok
Daniel White

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I've been on that track in one of their rental karts and even though there were only 15 karts on the track with me, it seemed very busy. I can't imagine having to navigate with 80 karts on the track. It seems like a disaster just waiting to happen.
John Wehrheim
Senior 2 Cycle Director

Score: 33593

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel,
Definately not a dull moment on race day. When you have very experienced drivers it is not too bad. But unfortunately there are guys that race these events that probably shouldn;t be on the track. There were numerous times that drivers would make stupid moves. Coming back onto to the track and not looking is the biggest and extremely dangerous.

We will be back next year. This is a fantastic event that Mark puts on each year. Big money, great facilities and great racing
Rick

Score: 5814

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a post off the MRP forum from the father of the co-driver of Zach Beard, interesting read.

As the father of the co-driver, I wanted to thank MRP for the opportunity to team up with Zach.

Friday was CJ's first time in a Birel and under Rotax power. It was also my first time around either.

Zach had the kart set up perfectly and through three days of varying track conditions, we only made a couple of very, very minor chassis adjustments. The kart worked very well for both especially considering the 30 lb difference in weight (I about fell over when I had them both take their turns on the scales Friday morning!).

With careful tire pressure management (the only thing I can really hang my hat on), Zach was able to put the kart on pole by a commanding 0.2 seconds. Keep in mind that in the timed practice prior to qualifying, the top 21 teams were separated by less than 0.5 second.

Yesterday's race produced a strong top 10 finish. However, the mileage on our second stint was not as expected and we unfortunately ran out of fuel without warning. After pushing the kart 1/3 mile, waiting for permission to enter the pits, pushing back to pits, refueling, and waiting for fuel to works it's way through the system, we had a 6 and a half minute longer than normal stop. We finished 5 laps down which is about 5 and a half minutes. So, we had the kart for the win.

Regardless, both drivers said the kart handled like it was on rails through 200 laps, one set of tires, 10-20 degree swings in track temperature and cloud cover.

Perhaps we will be seeing more red in the future.

Craig H. Lintner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    GSKA Forum Index -> 2 Cycle All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: